Powered By Blogger

Thursday 25 November 2010

Rembrandt


The first artist have looked at this year is Rembrandt. This is a big change of direction for me. In previous years before this project I never really grasped how to paint in acrylics, or with generally thicker paints. This year I have made a breakthrough in that I have suddenly learnt how to paint in these media, and have also made inroads into the use of oils. With this in mind i decided to choose an artist who fit my newfound abilities.
I chose to study one of his self portraits, as I myself want to create a portrait at the end of this unit, as it is something new and different to me. The self portrait I looked at was done in oils.
I like Rembrandt and this picture in particular because all of Rembrandts' works have (to me) a spellbinding quality which I find absolutely fascinating, and makes his pictures fell more real. He creates powerful emotion in his paintings even when facial expressions are neutral, often accentuated by strong, stark and yet incredibly real contrasts between light and shadow, and the eyes he paints are captivating, as if they are actually looking at you. Rembrandts' works fell very honest; you feel that everything he paints appears as it did in life, and no attempt has been made to correct any ugliness etc as that would take away from the truth in the painting. I get a clear feel that Rembrandt loved his work immensely, and also loved the people he portrayed, which often included his family. Though I doubt I would be able to in such a short time as I have left in school, I would like one day to be able to create paintings that have the same "alive" feel and passion that I feel looking at Rembrandts' works, as well as be able to realise the same amount of detail and accurately include it.

No comments:

Post a Comment